Hiring the right attorney is often critical to the outcome of your case. Schlegel Law Group invites you to speak with us either at our Miami office, by phone or by Skype in a 30-minute complimentary consultation. Contact us now!Schedule Consultation
Our Miami firm has been representing families going through collaborative divorce for decades. We are intimately familiar with the family law system, and we can handle your divorce from start to finish – whether collaborative divorce works for the entire process or we need to pursue some litigation. Our boutique size also ensures that we can provide every client with personalized attention. We have a 95% success rate with our collaborative divorce cases, and you can trust us to accurately voice your spousal and parental interests in the negotiation room.
What Is Collaborative Divorce?
Collaborative divorce is a relatively new alternative in Florida to the traditional, court-based, litigation divorce. If you and your spouse are amiable and open to compromise, collaborative divorce could be right for you. Rather than approaching divorce as adversaries, with collaborative divorce you and your spouse will be able to work together to decide the terms of your divorce. This will also help you avoid litigation and provide you and your spouse more autonomy in the negotiation process.
Our firm advocates collaborative divorce for both traditional and same-sex couples in Miami. Note that the key to collaborative divorce for couples is a commitment by both parties to resolve differences amicably. Collaborative divorce can be considered for the entire divorce or only part of it. If you and your spouse are unable to agree on certain points, those specific issues can be litigated, and we can help you in both cases.
The Collaborative Divorce Process
In a collaborative divorce, you and your spouse will each hire your own specially-trained collaborative lawyer. You will first meet separately with your lawyers, and then the four of you will meet together to negotiate a settlement agreement. During the meetings, you will continually reiterate your goals and interests to make sure your negotiation meets those needs. Depending on the case, certain professionals will be asked to participate as well, such as a financial expert and a licensed mental health professional.
Once you and your spouse have decided on the terms of your separation, the lawyers will draft a settlement agreement for both parties to sign. It is also important to have an attorney at this stage to make sure the legal language of the agreement addresses your needs and does not infringe upon your rights. Finally, if the judge deems the agreement fair and reasonable to both spouses, they will sign it, and it will become your final divorce judgment.
The Advantages of Collaborative Divorce
The benefits to collaborative divorce over litigation are significant. Collaborative divorce could provide:
- Control Over the Outcome – You and your spouse can voice your opinions and negotiate compromises with each other, rather than having a judge impose decisions on you. We can also help you negotiate modifications in the event of changing circumstances that require adjustments to your agreement.
- Cost Savings – Legal fees and family court costs can accumulate quickly; electing for a collaborative divorce can help you avoid some of those unnecessary expenses.
- Faster Finish – The divorce process can move along more quickly with collaborative divorce because you don’t have to wait for assigned court dates and lengthy trials. This saves both parties an incredible amount of time and hassle.
- Less Stress – The approach and processes involved in a collaborative divorce are much more informal and relaxed than litigation. You’ll feel less discomfort and anxiety than you would arguing the issues in a courtroom.
- Less Trauma for Children – As collaborative divorce allows you to resolve conflicts more quickly and easily, it can also help you develop a parenting plan and mediate negotiations for child support without high-conflict arguments in front of your kids.
Straightforward and Realistic Assessments
Will Fight Tirelessly on Your Behalf
One-on-one, Highly Personalized Attention
Over 20 Years of Experience